Wednesday, July 15, 2009

When in London...

Oh my goodness! I found SO many things that were just funny to me while we were in London! Here are just a few!

They just spell it a bit differently than we do! :)

They LOOK exactly like Lays potato chips... just called "Walkers" instead of Lays... but they aren't "chips" they are "crisps" and if you ask for "chips" you will get french fries! So confusing! Oh, and Walkers taste NOTHING like Lays! Well, they just have all sorts of whacky flavors that I have never heard of! Some were okay tasting but most were just WEIRD or YUCKY!

I just thought it was SO funny that they said "exercise your dog" instead of "walk your dog"! (we saw this sign when we were trying to find the Temple)

"Give Way" "Yield" same thing, right?

Why do they have crooked lines on their roads? Anyone know?

AKA EXIT!

This is my personal favorite! When you get off the "Underground" (aka Subway) instead of saying "watch your step" they say "MIND THE GAP". We actually miss hearing that when we get off the "Metro" here in Spain!

In our guide book we have a "British-Yankee Vocabulary" section. It is SO fun to read! Here are a few of my favorites:

afters=dessert
anticlockwise=counterclockwise
blow off= toot
boffin=nerd, geek
braces=suspenders
brolly=umbrella (we never needed a brolly, luckily!)
cotton buds=Q-tips
dummy=pacifier
face flannel=washcloth
fruit machine=slot machine
geezer=dude (slang for young man)... isn't that the opposite as in the US? "An old geezer"???
ice lolly=popcicle
jacket potato=baked potato...yea, I ordered one of those and had to ask exactly what it was :) I thought it might mean a twice backed potato or something! :)
just a tick=just a second
toilet=restroom (I asked for a "restroom" in the airport and they looked at me like they had NO IDEA what I was talking about!:))
zebra crossing=crosswalk

Okay, the list goes ON AND ON! They have some funny phrases and I just LOVED finding all the things that were different in England than in the US! :D

2 comments:

Andrea said...

how funny! i loved all the pictures...my favorite is the "exercising your dog" one--or maybe it was the "mind the gap"...i can't decide, they were all very funny! i think i'm going to try to use some of those words in my vocab today. my favorite were: boffin, geezer, ice lolly, and the potato jacket...hilarious!!! :)

bobandhaley said...

I find myself laughing almost every Sunday. My primary girls will correct everything that I say 'wrong'. Flashlight= torch, a yellow light means get ready not slow down (the lights here go from green to yellow to red to yellow to green), a speed bump is called a hump, it is not a bathroom because there is not a bath in there! A band aid is a plaster. I sing head shoulders knees and toes and the hocky pocky wrong. It is a cot not a crib, a pram or a push chair not a stroller, fruit is not a side dish it is a desert same with jello. if you are referring to your pants they will laugh at you- pants are underwear, they are called trousers. A queen size bed is equivalent to our king, nothing is better then the queen! A trash can is called a bin, a biscuit is a cookie. And the list goes on and on. It is funny to live with British folk!