Thursday, February 25, 2010

That's my surprise???

When I was laboring with Kate I knew that when all of my pain was over I would get a special surprise at the end-my beautiful Kate.

But after all the pain I went through with my KIDNEY STONE (which in many ways was worse than labor)
*uncontrollable back pain (that was making me insane and was WORSE than what I had felt the past few days and that was hard to beat) that wrapped around my side and into my stomach
*told I needed a CT scan to see what was wrong and that I would have to have a shot of morphine to keep me still
*bawling my eyes out because I couldn't stand the pain but my baby had never had a bottle and I didn't know if she even would at this point and she would have to for 24 hrs after the iodine for the CT scan was in me
*calling my neighbor (who is also nursing) and asking her that if worse came to worst and Kate refused to take a bottle if she would nurse her for me (I was really worried about my Kate because she won't even take a pacifier)
*getting an IV which I HATE!
*getting a shot of morphine that helped the pain but made me feel like I was being filled with sand bags
*getting iodine shoved in me that stung the entire way and tasted like liking a metal pole (it was through the IV but made the taste in my mouth...odd)
*finding out that I had a 3mm kidney stone and having no idea when it would pass or if I would have to have it surgically removed
*being away from my baby ALL day and constantly worrying about her
*watching Kate scream as we tried to force different plastic nipples in her mouth (we finally found one she would take) and knowing I couldn't nurse her if she wouldn't take it

and all I got at the end was a rock

LAME.


****Special thanks to my neighbor and friend Heather (to whom I am eternally indebted) for her "liquid gold" AKA milk she had pumped for her daughter and let us give to Kate

6 comments:

Andrea said...

That IS lame! I've heard kidney stones are painful but it sounds excruciating! I hope I never have to have one!
And I'm glad Kate finally took a bottle for you. Aiden never took one no matter how hard we tried sometimes.
I hope you are feeling all better...what a painful past few months! At least you got cutie Kate out of one of your experiences :)

KO and SJ said...

OH my word Melissa,

I cannot believe you went through all this with a new baby too! I am glad that it is all over now though, and hopefully life can be just absolutely wonderful now!

Michelle Kay said...

Oh my dear M'liss, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. NO FUN!!! I hope all goes better. I wish I was close by to help you with Kate. :(

bobandhaley said...

Yikes! I am glad you got Kate to take a bottle. My boys have never struggled with that because they didn't have an option. My body won't supply enough for two. I hope things start to get back to normal soon.

Megan said...

I'm so glad they finally figured out what was wrong. Hopefully you never have to go through that again! Have fun in Utah!!!

Jennifer Shook said...

My goodness Melissa! That sounds awful! I am so glad you are better and over that mess! So did you pass it or did they have to remove it?