Sunday, December 7, 2008

Thankful

Tim and I weren't sure what we were going to do for Thanksgiving. We had thought about going away somewhere and eating China food and pretending like Thanksgiving didn't exist so that we wouldn't have to be sad about missing our family and not being with them. The girl that I carpool with (Tara) invited us to come to her house so we decided we would just to that instead. I am SO glad we did! We had such a good time. It was different (they had a table for all the alcohol) but a lot the same. The turkey was the best turkey I have ever tasted! It was SO moist! Everything was so yummy and everyone was so nice. Tim and I brought a veggie tray and a lemon pie...we made it from scratch and it was yu-my if I do say so myself! We had a bit of a fiasco with the pie, so I'm glad that it turned out good! We bought frozen pie crusts and didn't know that you had to cook the crust BEFORE you put the filling in! We put the pie in the oven and the meringue started getting BROWN! We pulled it out and the crust was still doughy! We called Tim's mom (about a gazillion times!) and we were going to try and just scrape the filling out, cook the crust, put the filling back in and redo the meringue, but the filling wouldn't come out all the way. So we had to make the whole thing again! Luckily we bought a two-pack of pie crusts!
What we thought was going to be our worst Thanksgiving ever (because we were going to have to be alone-not cause we were going to Tara's) turned out to be a grand adventure!
Here are a few things I am thankful for (in no particular order):
Tim-he is the perfect husband for me-he is my other half in someways and exactly like me in others and I wouldn't trade him for anyone or anything
My family(in it's entirety:)) -being SO far away makes you realize and be thankful for what you have
The restored gospel
My Savior
A loving Heavenly Father who sends tender mercies so I remember He is there
The opportunity to share my beliefs-being in a place where a lot of people have false beliefs about "Mormons" has really given me the opportunity to share my beliefs and to really reflect on what it is that I believe
A job-even though a lot of times I come home crying or frustrated or overwhelmed, I really am thankful to have a job
Good friends

4 comments:

Andrea said...

yay! i'm so glad you posted! you are such a fun blogger...i love how you tell your stories and talk about things! i'm glad that your thanksgiving turned out so well! your pie sounds delicious (and your story reminded me of our first college waffle experience...not that the stories were at all the same but it did anyway...)
that is so nice that you had your sibling and your mom come to stay with you! your mom must have been so much help and such a blast to be with! that's so funny that she even sharpened your pencils :)
how is work going for you? does tim like his school stuff? what are your plans for christmas? we miss you guys and i hope that all is well :)

Annette said...

I'm glad that your Thanksgiving was a happy one, even though you are away from home. I think that your pie story was really cute, there's always something that goes wrong :)

Mandy said...

Well, what can I say? I know I commented on the other post, but I wanted to comment again! I'm happy your Thanksgiving was good! Lindy and I found the perfect thing for you for Christmas, so we bought it and gave it to mom, for either mom or Ali to give you!! You will love, love, LOVE it!!! :) I love you billions!!

Sara Stevenson said...

Hey I just saw that you live in VA now! Where do you live? We live in Fairfax! Are you liking it so far?